Here I go...

Walking and Talking Across Spain - long distance walking chelates the chemicals that trigger my Multiple Chemical Sensitivities

Friday, April 01, 2011

Home Made Setting Lotion

A few days ago, 
I set out on a quest to try to recall the name 
of a slimy setting lotion we girls used back in the 60s.  
It was green, in a glass jar, 
and it was NOT Dippity Doo gel!

After wracking my brains, 
and asking everyone I could think of, 
I still did not come up with the answer. 
It's possible it was called Jo-Cur but I"m not sure.

However, a friend led me to several posts 
about making your OWN setting lotion from flax seeds. 
And the product you're left with is 
exactly what I recall. 
Thanks Br. David!

Here is the recipe:

FLAX SEED SETTING LOTION

¾ cup water

1 tablespoon flax seed

Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, 
and bring to a boil. 
Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous 
(about 10 to 15 minutes). 
Strain out as many seeds as you can. 
Dip a comb into the gel, 
and comb through the hair 
before setting with curlers or pins. 

I know this looks and feels slimy, but try it! 
Your hair, when it dries, will be "crackily" 
but once you run a brush through it, 
will be shinier and bouncier than it has been in years!

Here is what the finished product looks like. 
I suggest thinning it with hot water:

And here is a link to a blog with detailed instructions and photos of her hair after using this:
NOTE they call flax seeds "linseeds" in the UK

* * *
Here are a couple more recipes:

FLAX SKIN LOTION
Flax seeds make for a very softening gel for the skin. 

1 cup filtered water
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
1 tablespoons aloe vera gel (optional) 

Combine water and flax seeds in a small pan, bring to a boil, and simmer until the mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat and strain out as many seeds as you can. Add the glycerin, and blend with a hand mixer. Refrigerate, and discard after a week. 

Variation: Make a simple gel by just boiling together the flax seeds and water, and skipping the other ingredients. 

AFTERSHAVE GEL

Make the flax seed lotion, 
but eliminate the glycerin, 

There you go!
You have easy to make options!
My stepmother had gorgeous hair
and she set her hair with stale beer.
It did NOT smell like beer either - 
the smell dissipated quickly.

I'd be interested in your feedback!
Until then,

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
or do without!

Love,
Annie


UPDATE!!!!  After many of you wrote me, I learned the name of the setting lotion was Nestle's Superset. HOORAY!  Thank you all!  Now my old brain can rest!  ::laughing:::  We used this to set our hair on juice cans so it would straighten out. We actually SLEPT with those cans in our hair!

Here is a photo:



13 comments:

  1. I came across this blog post while I was searching for a picture of that green slimy setting lotion on-line! I used Dippity-Do, but my mother and I set my grandmother's hair once a week with that more liquid-y green stuff. The consistency was exactly like your picture shows. We poured a bit into a small glass dish and added hot water to it, and combed it through the hair, adding a little extra on the crown to give her more "lift" in her "do" up there. I thought it was called "wave-set", but cannot remember the brand name. If you visit my blog in the next week or so, you may see a post about this. I'm working the nostalgia theme at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you are talking about is a setting lotion that had nettles (as I recall). It was put out by Nestle's

    ReplyDelete
  3. It Could Have been Amami Wave-Set, it was discontinued by proctor and Gamble in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name of it was wave set setting lotion by Nestle.I have been tring for sometime to find anything close to it.,and came up blank.I will try your recipe the next time I wash my hair.
    Thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete
  5. what we use to use was nestle's wave set, no longer available. thanks for the info on homemade setting lotion, trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!!!! I have looked for this Nestle's for years off an on I am 52 and my mom used this and on me and my sister..I am African American and this was when the options for products were slim and none.......I thought I would try looking again just for the heck of it and was so happy to find your site and recipe..tried it last night and pleasantly surprised..made a mess in my friends kitchen though : ) So cool to see so many other folks looking for the same product....now if I could just find Listerine face scrub!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are all welcome and I believe it WAS Nestles Wave set. It had a smell that was pleasant and if I close my eyes I can still smell it. But man, it was like combing snot into your hair! ::cackle!::: Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You! I am writing this is tears. I am 83 with the resultant thinning hair and used the Nestles since 1946. Nothing else and Iv'e tried them all is as good as Nestles. Thank you !! I will try and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is April 3's anonymous writer. I tried it ! It works! It Works! Having trouble straining, don't use meal use seeds, the golden not brown and the unused seeds need to be refrigerated. Check out Wikipedia for more info. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, going back a little farther (I'm in my 70's)it was called Jo-Cur. Came in a large mouthed bottle into which you could insert your comb. Then you'd run the comb through your hair, mould your hair in waves, or straighten while the substance is damp. Let it dry and Voila! Great hair styling. I'm sure this is unavailable now since the more contemporary gels have been developed. A shame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the product as Jo Cur Wave Set - green and slimy. Last seen in a green plastic bottle. Worked like a charm to set dry hair or wet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember the stuff my mom used religiously- it was called Dr. Ella's Curl Last Wave Set. She also used the Nestles Superset with Lanolin.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.