Here I go...

Walking and Talking Across Spain - long distance walking chelates the chemicals that trigger my Multiple Chemical Sensitivities

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Home Made Mango Sorbet

Well.. it's not REALLY sorbet, which is defined as a frozen dessert made from sweetened water flavored with fruit  This is simply whipped frozen fruit - but it is fabulously delicious!

I often buy overripe bananas at a good price. I take them home, peel them, put them in a ziplock bag and pop them in the freezer. Then I use them in smoothies, or when I want banana ice cream. All you have to do is break them in pieces, put them in the food processor, whip them up and serve.

YUM!

So Emma wants sorbet and I don't feel like going out.
We're going to make sorbet from what we have at hand.

About 2 cups of Trader Joe's frozen mangos
 
a slice of  fresh pineapple
and 2 ripe bananas.

To prepare my pineapple, I just twist off the stem, then cut off the top. After I cut my slice I want to use, I turn the pineapple upside down on a plate and keep it in the fridge until next time. This keeps it fresh and causes the sugars to drain down (actually UP) into the top.

Put all of this into the food process, and whip it up!

Here's what it looks like... a bit soft still.
I would normally put this into the freezer for about 15 minutes, then whip it up again, and it would be firm enough to "mound."  But Emma can't wait!

So we're eating it soft serve.



This whipped up fruit is great to pour into those little Tupperware Ice Pop Molds

You can use just about any fruit or juice, including banana, pineapple, mango, peaches, durian, watermelon, and even citrus (mixed with other fruit).  If you want your kids to eat veggies, you can even make really yummy pops using vegetable juice mixed with fruit juice, then poured into the molds.

Try it! They'll love it!
One benefit is you  KNOW the ingredients and there is no trash to recycle or toss.
A second benefit is that it's a great way to use those extra ripe bananas!

So until next time

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do Without!

Love,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.