Here I go...

Join me on my new adventure - Van Living!

Friday, January 11, 2013

DIY Toothpaste

I cannot use commercial toothpaste because it contains one or more of the following ingredients:
synthetic chemicals
preservatives
dyes
artificial sweeteners

The best way I've found to avoid these ingredients is to make my own toothpaste.

Here is the recipe I've found works best for me.
You can do something as simple as mixing baking soda and salt (1 to 1).
But I prefer the taste and feel of the "paste" I'm used to using.



Items to Gather:

Measuring spoons
Glass mixing bowl
Butter knife or stick for stirring
Baking Soda - $2 per box
Hydrogen Peroxide - $1 or less for a bottle
Clay - I use bentonite - 59 cents worth at Whole Foods in bulk
Sea salt - I use Celtic Sea Salt - $1 at Whole Foods
Vegetable Glycerin (get it at your pharmacy - be sure it is pure) $5.50 at CVC pharmacy
Organic Essential Oil (I use spearmint, but you can use peppermint or cloves or cinnamon.)*
* Be VERY careful with essential oils. If they are not cut with a carrier oil they can burn your mouth. So begin with 1 drop, try it, then go from there.
Airtight container (I use an old toothpaste container I got while in Spain)

These ingredients will keep you in toothpaste for years, literally!

Instructions

1. Gather your ingredients

2. Measure the following into your bowl
    6 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon bentonite clay
    1 teaspoon sea salt

3.  Mix the dry ingredients then add:
    6 teaspoons glycerine
    1/4 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide


4. Stir this until it is of the desired consistency. If it is too thick, I add a bit of water. I want it to flow off the knife, but in a thick gooey paste.  If it is too thin, add more baking soda.


5. Add 2-3 drops of essential oil. Mix and taste. If you need more oil, do it one drop at a time, tasting between drops. Do not use too much.  Peppermint or spearmint produces a traditional toothpaste flavor.  Cinnamon and clove are hotter.

6. Put the paste into an airtight container. 
Opaque is best, but I like to use this toothpaste container I got while in Spain.  
If you want, you can add food coloring, which I did last batch, 
but didn't use in this batch, as you can see in the photo.

* * * 
You can double this recipe if you like, 
but I like making it fresh every month or so.
* * *

If you are making this for children, you may want to not add the peroxide, 
which is there to whiten the teeth.  
* * *

Do not swallow this.
* * *

Rinse well after brushing. 
There are posts online saying not to use glycerine, 
but if you rinse well, which you should anyway,
 there is no problem with it.

Cost?
Less than 50 cents per recipe compared to $4.99 for Tom's

Note:  If the container you use allows the paste to dry out, 
it could become difficult to squeeze out.
In that case, just adjust the thickness with a tiny bit more water.

* * * 

Child-Safe Recipe

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup baking soda
a few drops of spearmint essential oil
xylitol or powdered stevia to sweeten (to taste)

If you like you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to either recipe,
but personally, I don't like the taste of it.

***

What each ingredient does:

Baking Soda cleans the teeth. It freshens the mouth. It is not as hard on the enamel as commercial toothpastes.

Peroxide kills bacteria and whitens the teeth.

Clay gently cleans the teeth and draws out impurities.

Salt strengthens the gums and draws out impurities.

Glycerin is sweet and gives the paste consistency.

Essential Oil flavors the paste.

Any of these ingredients can be omitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.