Here I go...

Walking and Talking Across Spain - long distance walking chelates the chemicals that trigger my Multiple Chemical Sensitivities

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Spanish Shutters -How to Operate

Windows and some doors in Spain have these wonderful metal shutters that slide down over the window from the top, both  securing the window and providing darkness for sleeping. 

They can be adjusted to let in just a tiny bit of light or dropped completely for total darkness

I have watched many people give up in confusion - so here is a quick lesson

The shades are operated by a sturdy strap usually mounted on the wall to the right of the window. 

To CLOSE the shade, grab the strap at the very bottom and pull straight out away from the wall. Then gently let the shade drop, controlling the speed with the strap. You may have to do this two or three times to drop the shade completely. 

If you want, you can leave the shade open just enough for light to come through the slits. 

To OPEN the shade, simply pull straight down on the strap. 

That's it!  Easy as pie!







14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lesson! if I remember correctly, I had a tough time working those things mainly at night to close out the lights from the very brightly lit and noisy streets below. Oh how I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tyvm. And look how high the windows are Great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing lesson. So this shutter system doesn't exist in the USA?
    Gunnar W (Belgium)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure Gunnar. I have never seen these anywhere I've lived in the USA. Perhaps in NYC but I think they're brilliant and if someone would sell and install them I think a lot of people would buy them! I would!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had almost given up on closing the shades after I opened them but this was so helpful. It was so easy once I knew how to do it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you! This was a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, does anyone know where to buy the individual accessories from? The beige cover (bottom of image 2) cracked in my flat. Please please let me know if anyone can direct me to a seller of the parts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, does anyone know where to buy the individual accessories from? The beige cover (bottom of image 2) cracked in my flat. Please please let me know if anyone can direct me to a seller of the parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I don't know. I'd love to have these at home! If you find a supplier, please post it.

      Delete
  9. Thank you, you just saved me from a sleepless night in Valencia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the blind is fully open already you may have to pull the strap out so you have some slack and at the same time pull the shutter down with your hand to get it moving before continuing with some strap only.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not figure this out without your blog post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankyou so much really helpful. You stopped me from accidentally breaking them on my 1st night in a new apartment

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.