Here I go...

Join me on my new adventure - Van Living!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

WHEAT and GLUTEN FREE COCONUT COOKIES

When I eat wheat grown in the USA, 
the bromine they spray it with makes me sick as heck.

But…
 I have a sweet tooth and love baked goods.
So I was ecstatic to find this recipe yesterday in one of my Paleo cookbooks.

I made it in about 10 minutes and man, oh man!
These were GREAT!

Ok.. so they're not nearly as sweet as a regular cookie. 
But the texture is the same, and if you eat them warm off the pan, it's heaven.
I had a couple for breakfast this morning too - still good!

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons coconut flour
3/4 cup almond meal
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons crushed unsalted cashews or macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons shredded UNsweetened coconut

1 large egg
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons coconut oil

****

First, a bit about the ingredients.
I did this by the seat of my pants and it turned out great.
By the way, Bob's Red Mill has all the products you need!


Coconut Flour. You can buy it. But I just put a couple of tablespoons of the shredded coconut into the food processor and whizzed it up until it was fine. It got sticky, but I used it anyway. I didn't even really measure.. just eyeballed it.


Almond Meal.  Again, you can buy it. But I put 3/4 cup of almonds in the food processor and ground them up.


Unsweetened coconut. It's important not to use the sweetened kind if you're on a diet. If you're not, just use the cooking coconut. Or buy a coconut and shred it.

Coconut Oil.  I used cold-processed oil.  It is hard in the winter, but has a low melting point so I put the jar in a bowl of hot water until I got enough melted oil to make the 4 tablespoons.  Coconut oil is VERY easy to digest and actually helps in losing weight.

*****

Ok..so.. here are the directions.

1.  Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir them up.
2. Put all the wet ingredients into the bowl and stir it up.
3. Drop teaspoon sized balls onto a greased baking sheet or onto parchment paper
4. With a wet fork, gently press down to flatten like you would with peanut butter cookies.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes.

Now what?


EAT EM!

The recipe I used said to let them cool, but I didn't and they were OMG SO GOOD!

I think you could add chocolate chips to these and they would taste JUST like Toll House Cookies!

These would travel well on the Camino.
You could bake them at the next albergue!
I have baked cookies on a skillet on top of the stove before.
It works fine!


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.