Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Penis Church Santa Maria de Leboreiro




Many pilgrims walk right on past the Church of Santa Maria de Leboreiro. But I’ve discovered a secret there that I like to show my pilgrims, mostly to see if any have an educated explanation for the carved penis decorating its wall.

Yup that’s right. 
There’s a penis on the wall of the Church. 
Fertility symbol!?
Power symbol?!
Anyone know for sure?



The rest of the little Church is quite pretty inside. 
We did notice a young woman and old man snickering a bit as they noticed us noticing the carving. What’s up with that?  Lol!








One of the few black-haired Madonna and Jesus statues I’ve seen in Spain. 



Some pretty graphic frescos of Jesus being flogged. 




Thoughts?



1 comment:

  1. I’ve read that some of the bestial or lurid images carved on the outside of romanesque churches symbolize the church as sanctuary (inside) from the sin and worldliness outside. Think a walled garden, Eden, and outside of it exile.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.