Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Thursday, April 04, 2019

Early Rising


It's 4 am,
the time my eyes open each morning.

The earth is quiet 
and most of the world 
is still sleeping.

I walk out onto the front porch
and gaze up.
The black velvet sky is full of stars.
I feel peace
as I gaze into the endless void.
I am a tiny speck of dust,
but I AM,
and I give thanks.

I breathe in the cool darkness,
and a million points of light
become arrows 
that fly down and pierce
bubbles of sorrow 
hiding in my heart.
As each illusion pops,
sorrow turns to joy. 
My heart beats to the healing grace
of transformation.
And I give thanks.

Back in the house,
I open the coffee bean jar.
I close my eyes,
put my face into the opening
and breathe deeply. 
It smells crisp and brown.
The scent clears my sleepy mind,
sharpens my senses,
and I give thanks.

The coffee maker
crackles and chatters
as it spits the inky ambrosia
through its belly,
hot and strong,
just for me,
and I give thanks.

I sit and hold the warm cup
between my two hands.
Watching out the window,
I breathe and wait. 
One sip, then another,
full and rich.
My taste buds do a happy dance
and I give thanks.

The desert birds
begin their morning song.
Dove, Quail, Owl, Sparrow, 
Roadrunner and Crow,
twitter their plans for the day,
sharing their secrets,
telling their tales,
and I give thanks.

Soon, rays of colored light cross the horizon.
The palette is generous,
the colors like a warm salve.
I feel the heat on my face,
 and as the cracks in my broken soul
begin to mend,
I give thanks.

I take account
and there's no doubt.

Life!
Light!
Sunrise!
Sunset!
Nature!
Love!
Laughter!
Health!
Family!
Friends!
These are the gifts I treasure,

And I give thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.