Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

VDLP 2013 - Day 4: To Merida

I had another great night's sleep last night. There was only one other pilgrim in the Albergue and he did not snore! He DID wake me abruptly this morning at 5:30 am turning on the dorm lights! Not sure what he was thinking. But after he heard my groans he quickly shut them off and quietly left. I couldn't complain. I got plenty of sleep.

I tried to go back to sleep. It was still dark out. But after 15 minutes or so I gave up and answered some email. Then I got myself packed up and was out the door by 6:45.

The walking was easy. You just take the Main Street out of town and you pass the last gasolinera on your right and you are on the Camino. The walking is sometimes on the highway shoulder and other times on a path alongside. It is well-marked until the section where construction is going on. At that point it was confusing because there were the flechas amarillas we are used to, but OtHER yellow arrow signs pointing the opposite direction.

There were also ropes across the road. But just to the left of the ropes I could see a deer path where people had walked. I followed it (not willing to go backwards) and it opened up into a dirt track running parallel with the construction road. It is Sunday and nobody was working so I figured I would be ok, and I was.

Eventually I was on a farm road walking through grapes and olives. I saw a few bicyclists and a farmer, but that was it for most if the walk.

By the way, when you get to the way mark in my photo and you see a white pueblo to your left, don't get excited. It's not Merida!




Beautiful Sunrise!



I like these new Waymarks!







3 comments:

  1. Sounds really idylic Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie!
    what is the terrain like here? It looks a bit meseta-ish, if you'll pardon the expression. Glad everything is good for you.
    PeregrinaIr

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far it has been flat but unlike the meseta, much of the time you are walking in gorgeous farmland, through olive groves and vineyards.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.