Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Plantain Paleo Pancakes



Photo and recipe from Paleo Mom


Ok.. a quick diversion.
Have I posted this before?
It's because I LOVE IT!
I'm on a paleo diet, which is really working well for me.
One of my favorite breakfasts these days consists of these yummy plantain pancakes.

Since I cannot have grains on this diet, 
one thing I really miss is bread.These pancakes are as close to whole wheat pancakes
as you can get - honestly, I can't tell the difference.
And they're easy!

And because you do not have to buy a bag of flour,
these are perfect for a Camino breakfast in an albergue!

Here is the recipe for ONE person:

Ingredients:

1 large green plantain - I've used ripe also but green makes the best pancakes.
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (you could use olive oil too)
generous pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
Extra coconut oil for cooking
  1. Cut plantains into quarters, then peel. Put pieces in blender or food processor.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until it forms a smooth batter (about 1-2 minutes).
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter into the frying pan until your pancake is the desired size. I make these small for easy turning.
  4. Lower heat to low.
  5. Let cook 4-5 minutes on the first side, until the top looks fairly dry with little bubbles in it (just like regular pancakes!).
  6. Flip! And cook on the second side for 1½-2minutes.
  7. Repeat with remaining batter, adding a little more coconut oil to your pan as needed.
  8. Eat these with 100% maple syrup. 
  9. You don't need butter, but it's allowed if you must.


Here is a link to a video that shows you how easy it is to peel green plantain.
About Green Plantains

The best diet in the world lets you eat pancakes!
YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.