Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Friday, July 16, 2021

Do You Speak Spanish?


 I hear a lot of new pilgrims lamenting, "But I don't speak Spanish!"

Honestly, it's not a problem.

Trying to learn just a few important phrases in Castilian will be very helpful.

Try to learn the following (plus more if you can) and you should be fine:

 Can you help me please?

Where is the bar?

Where is the taxi?

Can you call a taxi for me?

Where is the albergue?

What time does it open/close?

Is there a bathroom nearby?

Can I use the toilet?

How much does that cost?

Please

Thank you

One thing that will NOT help is asking your question in your home language S>L>O>W>E>R and LOUDER and assuming that will help! 

MOST people along the Camino do speak a bit of English, German, French, but if you ask, they will say "No!"  Think about it. Even if you speak high school Spanish, if someone asked you, "Do you speak Spanish?" you probably would answer, "No!" even though you DO understand and speak a bit. It's the same there. Just do your best. The locals will REALLY appreciate your effort and will do all they can to help you. 

There will also ALWAYS be other pilgrims around who speak Spanish. 
You'll be fine.

I promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.