Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, February 14, 2022

2022 Holy Year Camino Is HAPPENING!

Some of you will remember that Joe and I were on the Via de la Plata in 2020 when COVID hit full force and we had to scramble to get out of Spain and get back home.


We then had to delay our 2021 Holy Year Camino because of Covid, but thanks to the Pope, 2022 will also be designated a Holy Year. Many of the pilgrims who signed up for our 2021 walk stayed with us and will walk in 2022. 

It is now February 14 - and I'm getting more and more excited every day!  It will be so GOOD to be back on the Camino. After almost two years stuck in a casa, I have cabin fever and I'm ready to walk!

I have noticed my stamina has suffered since my surgery, which is crazy, but I'm not too worried. I'm getting short walks in when my mother is napping (for those who don't follow me, my mom is on hospice and I'm caring for her). Most of the time I can only get in 3-4 kilometers. But that's better than nothing.  So here is my plan...

Joe and I will leave on April 12 and fly to Barcelona. We will spend Holy Week exploring Manresa and Montserrat. That is a lot of walking!

Then we will take a train to Zaragoza for a two-night visit. That will give us more all-day walking, just exploring and being tourists. Don't discount that. If you're on your feet walking, you're exercising!

Then another bus/train to Canfranc where we will once again begin a trek down the Aragones route. I've walked this route several times and I feel it is a great way to train for the Camino. We will break the earlier stages up, and gradually increase our distances, walking as close to Pamplona as we can get before time runs out. 

We meet up with our Spring group in Pamplona on April 28. We will spend two days in Pamplona, then taxi to SJPP where we begin our Holy Year Camino. I'm praying for great weather and a good time!

Some have asked me what I'll do about mom. I have a cousin who has agreed to come for a month to stay with mom. We also have hospice, who will increase their visits as necessary. The last two weeks, my son will stay with mom. Depending on how things look, I may have to say my goodbyes before setting out. If you know my story, you will know why I feel that's ok. We have gotten closer the past few months, which has been a blessing. However, I will not fly home if mom decides to transition before my trip is over. She and I, together, have made her arrangements. All will be well.

I admit to being a bit torn, but only for a moment. And then I realize that after two years of caretaking all by myself, I need this. I have not had the time to recover from my own health issues and I'm praying this Camino will be healing for me.

For all you caretakers out there, you forever have my respect. 

It's a hell of a hard job. 

Take time for yourself. 
It's ok.

See you on the trail!

Buen Camino -

Annie


2 comments:

  1. I hope you have the most wonderful time Annie. You take good care of you!
    Buen Camino!
    💕
    Linda Y

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.