Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Friday, February 21, 2020

A Rock at Cruz de Ferro


The Cruz de Ferro is a landmark that every pilgrim who walks the Camino Frances knows.  It is set on a gently sloping hill and stands 5 meters high. 

There are many stories about why it is there. Some say it is to mark the way for people walking during winter, as it stands above the snow line.  Others say it was placed here by the Romans to mark the line between two territories. Still others say it was a ritual post placed by the Celts. 

The most popular legend is that it was placed by St. James himself.  As the story goes, he was passing through the area when he came upon pagan priests performing a ritual of human sacrifice.  In anger, the threw a large stone at their altar, which shattered into a thousand pieces.  In place of the shattered altar, St. James erected a large cross.

The tradition today is that as you pass, you stop and say a prayer and "leave your burdens behind" in the form of a rock or object that you bring from home. 

A fellow forum member, Jann, and her family, placed a rock for me at Cruz de Ferro recently.  It was such a sweet thing to do, I thought I would share it (and also keep it for my own remembrance).

I have gotten an amazing amount of support 
from the Camino Santiago Forum. 
I'm humbled and blessed by all the good wishes 
and prayers sent to me.
The forum is my family away from home.




Thank you Jann and Family
and my Camino Santiago Forum family,
for your prayers and good thoughts.
They're working!

I'm looking forward to my own Camino 
coming up quickly.
It will be good to be walking again.

Love,
Annie


1 comment:

All comments are moderated.