Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Friday, April 03, 2020

My Double Mastectomy Surgery is "On" and Things . . .

I got an email from my surgical nurse yesterday.

My double mastectomy surgery, originally scheduled for April 23, is "on."

I will spend one night in the hospital then come to my youngest son's home to recover. The original plan was to go to my elder son's home, as he is a surgical nurse. But since the outbreak of the virus, surgeries at his hospital have dried up and he has been moved into another department and we are afraid of being exposed. So my youngest son's home is the safest place.

I've been chatting with other women who have had double mastectomies and I've been collecting "things" I'll need for this surgery. 


Mastectomy Pillows for sleeping and riding in the car - to protect the incision site

These are "drain" holders - I'll have at least one, and maybe two drains attached to my body for a couple of weeks. These will hold those and keep them from swinging around.

This holds my drains when I shower.

A bidet sprayer which attaches to the toilet. 

A hot/cold bottle with a straw so I can drink while lying down

A "wedge" to sleep on for a few weeks to keep my upper body in a semi-sitting position.

I also have a couple of post surgery camisoles that were gifted me by Providence Breast Clinic. These zip up the front so I can easily get into them. They have detachable pockets inside to hold the drains. 





In addition, they have pockets to insert my "Knitted Knockers" prosthesis when and if I'm ready. The Knitted Knockers were made by volunteers and are gifted free of charge to mastectomy patients. A gift of love, they come in all colors and sizes. You can order them with or without nipples, and you can order special water-friendly ones to be used in your swimsuit.





If you know anyone undergoing breast cancer and chemo or mastectomy surgery, there are several very supportive Facebook groups I belong to.

One is simply called Mastectomy Support Group and is a closed group.  It's a good place to hear other women's stories and to ask advice or just vent and get support.

The other group I belong to is called "Flat and Fabulous."  I've joined this group because I have decided NOT to have any reconstructive surgery. There are two of these; one for after you've had your surgery where the "C" word is NOT discussed and one where you can discuss your cancer and/or treatments.  Both are filled with very supportive women. 

So, despite Mr. Covid, my surgery is on.

Thank you all so very much for your support. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome and for protection from the virus. 

You are ALL in MY prayers during this crazy time!
Love,
Annie

8 comments:

  1. You are always in my thoughts, Annie and I send you positive, healing thoughts. I love you, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I think of you often, dear friend 💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m grateful to hear you have such a good support team Annie! As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you. 😊🙏💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, you will brave this new huge hurdle and teach us how to live gracefully hereafter. Wishing you a successful surgery! Keeping you close to our hearts and in our prayers,

    Pat & Paul

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.