Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Sunday, August 09, 2026

Packing For My 2026 Slow Camino


I am in the last stages of planning for 
my 2026 Slow Camino.

I've been working on deciding 
which pack I'll take. 

Day before yesterday 
I filled my 32L Brize pack for my daily walk.
It weighs 13 pounds with water. 
It was "ok" but a little uncomfortable on my shoulders. 

I actually like this pack best 
because of how easy it is to pack.
It's a top-loading pack 
so everything just stuffs down inside.
Also it only opens to the neck 
so it's great to keep pickpockets at bay.
It's a very sleek pack.



Yesterday I filled my 
30L Gregory Juno hydration pack.
 I suspected it may be a bit more comfortable.  
It rides more on the hips 
than on the shoulders.
But it was a pain in the butt for me to pack 
because it opens on the face 
It's also 2L smaller 
and that does make a difference.
I just am taking too many clothes for that pack.
I have to work to stuff everything in.
After fiddling with it,
I decided it was not a contender.
I may just sell that pack.
It's an awesome pack with hydration
and I've never carried it.
Maybe when I get back it'll go on Ebay.



Yesterday I hopped over to REI and picked up 
a 34L Osprey Mira pack.
Lovely pack, 
but when I tried carrying it full today
 two very hard edges at the bottom frame
dug into my hips.
So that pack is getting returned today.

I think I've decided I'll carry 
the Arcteryx Brize.

Generally I like a smaller pack
but since I'm starting in August
and finishing the end of October
I'll be walking in HOT weather
as well as cold.
So I need to take more clothes
than usual.

In the meantime, 
this is what I'm packing.
I use packing cubes - they're old but still work great
and really help me stay organized.

As I said, I'm carrying more 
than I normally would take
because I'm starting in HOT weather 
and ending in COLD weather,
so I need to be able to layer my clothes.

This is what everything looks like 
when it's loaded into the cubes:


 I'll go through each cube to show you what I'm bringing
for this 68 day trip.

First is my NatureHike Ultralight down sleeping bag and pillow. I love this little sleeping bag.
I cut off the zipper and sewed up the bottom edge
to make a foot box, so 
it's more like a down quilt.
Warm and featherweight.



In the largest cube are my daily clothes:
3 pair panties, 2 socks,
grey sun hat, grey featherweight sun hoodie, teal featherweight sleeveless shirt for sleeping, red merino wool short sleeve, black silk wool long sleeve, 
a pair of shorts and my Macabi skirt.
I stuffed two extra masks in just in case.


In the next cube are my cold/hot weather clothes.
Blue ALTUS poncho (vacuum sealed for travel),
pink neck cooler (you soak it in water then wear),
Marmot lightweight jacket,
fleece hat, black merino buff
(I've taken out the pink/blue scarf)


Next is my laundry/bath cube:
Bath soap, laundry soap (fels naptha),
large safety pins for drying clothes, 
shampoo, clothes line



The green bag holds my first aid and bathroom things:
Shoe horn and eyebrow pencil
 (I have no eyebrows - thanks to cancer),
KT tape, Electrolyte drops, Fluimucil,
toe gel tubes and washcloth pills,
lambs wool, q-tips, razor, vicks, deodorant, dental floss,
Prep H, and a tiny pill carrier holding ibuprofen, Advil PM, a muscle relaxer, and Gaviscon. If I need more, there are pharmacies in pretty much every village. 


Next are just loose extras:
Kula cloth and panty pads, extra shoestrings and tips for my pacer poles, Petzl headlamp, mosquito net (in orange bag), coffee, sugar, spork, shower shoes


The plastic sleeve is for when I use pack transport. I plan on carrying my pack except for a few more difficult days. My credential, and two tiny journals. 


This last bit is what I carry onto the plane with me.
For sleeping: earplugs, Advil PM, sleepmask
Earbuds, plug converter, power bank,
kleenex, nose spray and bengay
(in case someone has too much perfume on 
and I need to mask it), 
inhaler, toothbrush, pen, clorox wipes, 
water bottle (not shown) and lastly,
an old cashmere sweater!


What I will wear on the plane. 
These are very lightweight cotton genie pants 
and a merino teeshirt.
I can wear these in the evenings after walking.

Also, I forgot to include my sun umbrella, 
and I'll be taking my Pacer Poles.


I know this looks like a lot, but it really isn't for a 68 day trip.
It all packs up small. 

I may or may not include a bladder.
Haven't yet decided.

Just 7 more sleeps!

Stay tuned,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.