Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Making Biscuits at Walmart

My back yard is Walmart in Carlsbad tonight because I'm trying to save gas and didn't want to drive all the way back out to the lake. Tomorrow at first light I'm going to drive to Carlsbad Caverns, about 30 minutes away and Walmart saved me quite a few miles.

Last year, I sold my little butane stove to Merle and this week I was sorry. It's been so windy and cold, it's difficult to set up my kitchen and cook outdoors. So when I found a little stove on sale at Big 5 for $24.00, I jumped at the chance to nab it.

So here I am sitting in my van in the Walmart parking lot, and after going through my food to see if I needed groceries, I found a small can of biscuits (which I bought during a weak moment needing comfort food) had POPPED open!  Given the choice of tossing it or using it, of course, I decided to cook those puppies!

With my wee stove, a skillet and the help of a mortar (from a mortar and pestle set), I made a little oven and my biscuits are turning out just fine!  I learned how to make an oven like this as a child, camping on the river with my father. I once made an entire pineapple upside down cake over an open fire, using a gold pan propped up with a tent stake. And I often bake cookies over a camp fire.

Here's my oven!  The fire is on as low as I can get it.


Someone on Facebook asked how I make the biscuits. 
Usually I'd make them from scratch, 
but I had this small can of dough,
so I just pulled each one off 
and flattened it,
pulling it out like you would fry bread,
into a small pancake.


Then I just put it on my hot skillet and cover it.
I check it every few minutes and turn it often,
maybe 5 or even 6 times,
until it's nice and brown 
and done in the middle.




And then...
it's butter and Cherry Preserves time!
I bought this when I drove over Cloudcroft.

YUM!


Bet you wish you were here!

Can you smell 'em?

Love,
Annie




2 comments:

  1. How many miles do you drive in a week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends. I usually just stay in one place for two weeks when I’m in the van, but this was a special road trip. My goal was to see New Mexico. The weather made it impossible to stay in one place for more than a day or two. I don’t like to drive more than 200 miles per day if I’m traveling long distances.

      Delete

All comments are moderated.