Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Thursday, December 12, 2019

First Aid: What I Carry



What I carry:

AIRBORNE. This product was developed by a school teacher who got tired of picking up every cold and flu that came through her classroom. It is a fizzy tablet that you dissolve in a bit of water and drink. It will keep you from getting a cold or flu that you might be exposed to on the flight to Spain. I usually begin taking these the day before my flight and take them every few hours until I arrive in Spain. If you cannot find AIRBORNE, you may want to take extra Vitamin C for a few days before you leave and the day of your trip. I usually find AIRBORNE at any supermarket or drug store.

NOSE SPRAY! A good saline nose spray that you use regularly through your flight may be the difference between catching a cold or not. Since a South African pilgrim told me about this, it’s worked well for me. The air quality in airplane cabins is horrible and it’s hard being sick on the trail.

FIRST AID KIT. You do not need to bring a large first aid kit unless you have special needs. One of our first stops will be the Farmacia in Pamplona where you can purchase first aid items. You might want to bring about ½ dozen bandaids and a pair of tweezers, and a needle for splinters. I’d also carry a dozen Ibuprofin or whatever pain relieve your use in case of headache or pain. Everything else you might need can be purchased in Spain.

COMPEED is something you will come to love or hate. It is a very thick, cushioned stick-on bandage which comes in many sizes. It is perfect for slapping on a ‘hot spot’ before it becomes a full blown blister. I usually budget about 20 Euros for Compeed for the entire trip. If 3 or 4 people get together and each buys a different size/shape, they can then split up the packages and everybody will have at least 2 of what they need in an emergency “hot spot” situation. I’ll send you a link to my blog on Compeed so you can see how it works.

ALCOHOL with ROSEMARY is a well-known item used by pilgrims. You can purchase it in most farmacias.

GOLFERS VASCULITIS. Many pilgrims who are not used to walking such distance carrying weight experience tiny broken vessels in their ankles the first week. I get these each and every time I walk the Camino. They look horrible, although they’re not painful at all. Stopping to rest and rub the legs with this rosemary alcohol seems to help this condition clear up in a day or two. Share a bottle with a friend!

ARNICA CREAM or IBUPROFIN CREAM is something you can find in Spain. It is excellent to rub on sore muscles after your shower and will help keep down inflammation. The brand name to ask for is Voltaren Emugel. Much less expensive in Spain than in the USA. I carry a tube with me every Camino.

VICKS or PETROLEUM JELLY. I usually BUY THIS IN Spain because you probably will not be allowed to carry it on the flight. It’s not for a cold, but for my FEET! I rub petroleum jelly or vicks on my feet each morning, slathering it between my toes. Vicks is great because the menthol feels good and has the added benefit of deodorizing those tootsies. The Vicks or petroleum helps your toes slide past each other and you are less likely to get blisters. I carry it in a convenient place so if I stop to rest I can give my feet a little rub, and reapply, especially on a long walking day.

COLD MEDICINE. The cold medicine in Spain is highly superior to anything I’ve found in the United States. Hopefully, you won’t get a cold, but if you do, here is a little information you might find helpful.

In my opinion, the best cold medicine is called FLUMUCIL. This is an effervecent tablet like the Alka Seltzer tablets. You drop it into about ¼ cup of water, let it dissolve, then drink it. It clears your sinuses and makes you feel human again. If you have a deep chest cough or expect to get one, you might want to try FLUMIL by the same company. This is a packet of granules. Again, you drop the granules into water, then drink. This breaks up congestion and clears my chest better than anything I’ve tried. Please be sure to check with the pharmacist to be sure these medications will not conflict with any other meds you are taking.

In Spain, you can walk into any Farmacia and the pharmacist will give you what you need at very little cost. In Spain, pharmacists are allowed to give you prescriptions without a medical doctor. To find a pharmacy, look for a big GREEN cross. There is one in nearly every village along the way.
If you take prescription medicine, please bring along the GENERIC name for your medication in case you lose it or run out. Brand names may be different.
We know that your training is going well and that you are going to be super-duper fit by the time we fly to Spain! If not, the first week will be a good work-out in preparation for the climb into the Irago Mountains, depending on where you begin your Camino!

If you have any questions about packing or equipment, be sure to email and ask. It’s best to be prepared.

Hasta Luego!
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.