Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, December 23, 2019

Getting Ready for the Via de la Plata in March

I spent the morning rounding up items I "think" I will take on the Via de la Plata in March.  There is no pack transport on this route, so I need to pack light. I weigh about 148 right now so I'd like to keep my pack weighing between 14 and 15 pounds, no more.

I arranged everything on the bed, wondering if I had forgotten anything.  I had to go out to the van and grab my laundry items and binoculars.

Now I'll pack this all into my pack and weigh it and see if I need to discard anything.

Here is what I have so far:
Down bag, Pacer Poles, and Knife

My down bag is going for sure!
It will be early March and is likely to be cold in many of the albergues.

I'm not sure yet about the Pacer Poles.
I'm going to walk with them as much as possible and see if I think I'll use them. My tendency is just to carry walking poles and never use them. Depending on the weight, I COULD simply strap them to my pack for the one or two mountains we'll be crossing. Still undecided.

I definitely will take the blade. If I take my Pacer Poles, I'll wrap them up with Joe's walking sticks and we'll check them. I can slip the blade in there, one way or the other.  If we do NOT check poles, I'll just pick up another blade in Spain. They are unbelievably inexpensive there. I think I paid €6 for this one.

Clothes

1 extra Macabi skirt - not sure if I'm taking this. Will know after weighing.
1 pair walking shorts
1 short sleeved shirt
1 long sleeved shirt
2 pair wool socks
2 pair underwear
2 bras/undershirts 
1 silk undershirt (not shown)
1 pair rain pants (in black tube)
1 pair compression socks
1 fleece hat
1 pair gloves
1 puff jacket 

Sundries and Other
1 water bottle - I usually carry this in my Macabi pocket
1 jeweler's loupe 
1 pair binoculars - for art museums and dark cathedrals
1 Tigris umbrella clips (2 pair)
1 extra pair of glasses
1 sleep mask
2 pair of earplugs
1 braided clothesline
1 dozen large safety pins - for hanging clothes on the line
1 plug adapter
1/2 bar cold water clothes soap
Pink towel
1 bar Ligget's soap for bath/shampoo
1 toothbrush
1 travel toothpaste (not shown)
ALTUS Poncho (blue rolled up)

Meds:
4 packets Flumucil
800mg Ibuprofen - about 10
6 Prep H bullets (just in case)
8 Gaviscon - for stomach issues
KT Tape (polka dot stuff)

Backpack

Everything laid out on the bed . . . 

ON THE PLANE I WILL WEAR/carry:

1 Macabi skirt
1 pair wool leggings
1 undershirt
1 merino wool long sleeved shirt
1 cashmere sweater
1 pair wool socks
Trekking shoes
1 face mask
1 hand gel
1 nose spray

We will carry our packs on the plane.

Ok... now to pack it up and weigh it...
I'll report back.

I signed up for TSA PreCheck this week. It was easy. It cost me $85, but with all the flying I do, I thought it was worth it. 

Joe and I have all our lodging reservations made where possible or desired. 
We also made our car rentals to and from the airport.

Just about two months to Camino!
I'm getting excited!

Love,
Annie

**************
Just packed and weighed my backpack. THIRTEEN pounds! 
Hooray! 
Perfect!








No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.