Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Completing the Via de la Plata

Several years ago, Joe and I began walking the Via de la Plata. Against advice from seasoned pilgrims, we chose to walk in summer.  Big mistake!  For those who haven't read about it, the trip blog begins here:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/11/8-days-on-via-de-la-plata-day-one.html

We got as far as Fuente de Cantos and decided to toss in the towel.
We then jumped up onto the Camino Frances.
I left my blue and yellow "Walking the Via de la Plata" guidebook at the albergue in Leon and have always regretted it. If you happen to find it (my name is inside) I'd pay to get it back!


In 2013, I picked up where I had left off, in Zafra, and walked a few more stages.
This time I finished at Caceres before having to go meet up with my walking group in Pamplona:
Here is that blog thread:

Now, Joe and I are talking about finishing up this route. 
We looked at airfare and found tickets
round trip from LAX to Madrid for just over $400.
I just couldn't pass that up!

Since Joe hasn't walked the stages from Zafra, 
I will walk those sections again with him.
We hope to finish up in Astorga,
then travel to Segovia
where we have reservations for Holy Week.

At the bottom is our tentative schedule.
I've made all the necessary reservations,
and now my only concern is getting my foot and my Morton's Neuroma
to a point where it won't bother me too much to walk.
I've ordered special inserts for my new New Balance shoes.
I'm doing water aerobics and stretching each day,
and am lifting free weights 3 times a week.
As soon as the weather permits,
I'll begin walking every day.
Right now, it's 105-112 here in the desert 
so much too hot to walk!

Gearing up means I'll have to buy a new pack.
I sold the Jade 128 last year.
I'm looking at packs between 128 and 130,
and am especially interested in the top-loading Deuter.
Unfortunately, Arcteryx no longer makes the pack
I carried for so many years.

And... I'm on a strict budget!
Using The Budget Mom's workbook.
So far I've been SHOCKED at how much cash I've been wasting!

Ok.. here's our tentative schedule.
Of course, nothing is set in stone.
We'll ride the wave . . . 

-->
Date Day Village Km Albergue
5-Mar Thu Arrive Madrid
Train or Bus to Zafra Hotel Plaza Grande
7-Mar Sat Villafranca de los Barros 20 Albergue Carmen
8-Mar Sun Taxi to Almendralejo, Walk to Torremejia 14 Alberge Rojo Plata
9-Mar Mon Merida 16.5 El Templo Suites
10-Mar Tue Merida
11-Mar Wed Aljucin 17 Albergue St. Andre
Thermal Baths
12-Mar Thu Alcuescar 22 Albergue
13-Mar Fri Aldea de Cano 15.4 Albergue
14-Mar Sat Caceres 23 Apartamentos BeHoliday
15-Mar Sun Caceres Albergue 
16-Mar Mon Cacer de Caceres 11.4 Albergue
17-Mar Tue Embalsa 664.26.27.42 23 Embalsa Albergue
18-Mar Wed Grimaldo 20 Abergue
19-Mar Thu San Gil 21 Albergue
20-Mar Fri Carcabosa 14 Señor Elenas
21-Mar Sat Oliva de Placecia
22-Mar Sun Aldenueva del Camino 19.5 Albergue
23-Mar Mon Calzada de Béjar 26 Albergue
24-Mar Tue Fuenterroble 21 Albergue
25-Mar Wed San Pedro de Rosados 28.6 Albergue
26-Mar Thu Salamanca 25 Los Angeles Plaza
27-Mar Fri
28-Mar Sat Urb. El Chinneral 22.6 Albergue Casa Saso
29-Mar Sun El Cubo de la Tierra del Vino 15 Albergue Torre de Sabra
30-Mar Mon Villanueva de  Campeon 13.5 Albergue Peregrino
13-Mar Tue Zamora 19 Albergue Peregrino
1-Apr Wed Fontanillas de Castro 25 Albergue
2-Apr Thur Granja de Moreruela 12.5 Albergue
3-Apr Fri Benavente 25.5 Albergue
4-Apr Sat Alija del Infantado 22 Albergue
5-Apr Sun La Baneza 20.5 Albergue
6-Apr Mon Villares de Orbiga or Astorga 24.5 Albergue or Hotel ???
7-Apr Tue Astorga
8-Apr Wed Segovia
9-Apr Thur Segovia
10-Apr Fri Segovia
11-Apr Sat Segovia
12-Apr Sun Madrid
13-Apr Mon Madrid
14-Apr FLY HOME `

So that's the plan, Stan!
See you on the Camino!
Love,
Annie

3 comments:

  1. Your plan is awesome! And you are one busy woman! I bought a book titled "History of the World in 500 Walks.". Found one that is very appealing that goes through Germany, Austria and Italy. Then there's the Portuguese Camino. You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patty! Father Jeffrey is talking about getting a reunion together and walking again. Wouldn't that be fun!? Do you have any photos I can share on my website? Just 2 spots left for Holy Year! Kowabunga!

      Delete
  2. A reunion walk!! That sounds fantastic! Can you send me a text with Father Jeffrey's contact info. I've lost it. I love your walking plans!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.