Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, September 16, 2019

Pharmacies on Call and If You Get the Flu



The first thing to notice is that in Spain, 
the Pharmacy is called a Farmacia 
and will display a BIG GREEN CROSS.



In Spain there is a term you will want to learn.
It is Farmacia de Guardia 
and it means 
Pharmacy on call.

This is regulated by the local Pharmacy authorities 
and what it means is this. 
There will ALWAYS be a Pharmacy 
open in every area. 
Some will be open until midnight.
Some will be open 24 hours, 
especially in larger cities.

When I say "in every area" 
bear in mind you are walking 
what would be considered short distances
 if you were in an automobile, 
so for instance, 
you may have to taxi ahead an entire stage 
to find an open Farmacia. 
But if it is an emergency, 
you will find one open 'in the area."



Pharmacists in Spain 
are allowed to prescribe many medications 
that would require a doctor's prescription in the USA.  
This means you can walk into any Farmacia, 
tell them or show them your problem, 
and they will prescribe what you need, 
whether it is for the flu, a cold, bedbug bites,
 or an injury.

On one of our first Caminos, 
Joe had a 2d degree burn on his leg. 
We walked into a Farmacia. 
The pharmacist sat him in a chair, 
washed the wound and dressed it, 
and gave him a tube of antibiotics. 
The cost was €6.

With so many pilgrims on the Camino these days,
you may not get that personalized treatment,
but you will find help.

If you have prescription medication that you require,
 please be sure to take 
the GENERIC name for the prescription 
in case you lose it or run out. 
Even better would be a written prescription 
from your doctor.  
You should not have any problems 
filling a prescription 
with one of these, 
unless it is for an opiate, 
in which case there will be a doctor 
in almost every larger town 
who can help you.

Fluimucil Complex

In case you get a cold or flu, 
let me tell you about a miracle drug
NOTE:  This works for ME.
You must be sure it does not conflict 
with any medications
you are already taking so be sure
to let the pharmacist know.

I always carry in my pack while in Spain.
 In fact, it works so good
 I bring boxes of it back with me each year
 because it is not available in the USA.  
It is called Fluimucil Complex.  
Here is a photo. 

FLUIMUCIL COMPLEX

The one above is a newer package 
and even though the "use before" date 
is 6/2018 on the lower one, 
I still use them and they work great.

This is a fizzy tablet. 
Drop it into water and let it dissolve, 
then drink.
I usually just use about 1/4 cup of water.

This magic combination of Paracetamol 
and Acetylcysteine 
allows me to keep walking the Camino 
if I get a cold or flu. 
It is the BEST thing since apple pie, in my opinion.    
It clears my sinuses, clears my head, 
and clears my lungs without making me sleepy. 
The first thing I do each Camino in Pamplona 
is pick up a box of this, "just in case."  
I never walk without it. 
It's that good.

Keep this photo on your phone 
and show it to the pharmacist
and insist on this particular one,
 because there are other types that look like this, 
but don't do the job. 

This one below is ONLY for lungs.
It is helpful for me, 
as I tend to get congestion in the lungs 
when I get a cold or flu. 
It is a powder. 
I pour it into 1/4 cup of warm water, 
stir, and drink it down. 
It will loosen phlegm and help me cough up the crud.

FLUMIL 200 mg

Do not let them sell you any other type 
of Fluimucil or Flumil.
There is another effervescent tablet 
called Fluimucil Forte.
It doesn't work for me.
Here is a photo of it.


There is also a liquid, that for me, does not work.

In the Farmacia, 
you can also buy Compeed 
and other blister helps,
Volteron, which is a non-steroidal 
anti-inflammatory cream,
helpful for sore muscles
and unavailable in the USA without prescription,
Alcohol Romero,
which is Alchol with Rosemary in it,
and wonderful for massaging sore legs and muscles.

You can find shoe inserts,
elastic bandages and compression socks,
a Spanish KT tape,
shampoos and body washes,
awesome organic makeups,
and a host of other products.
It's really worth a visit,
especially in the larger cities.
But I caution you not to weigh down
your pack until you arrive in Santiago,
where you will find plenty of Farmacias
and other shops
full of wonderful products
to take back home. 



Again, I suggest you copy the photo 
of Fluimucil Complex
onto your phone
just in case.
It could save your Camino.

I hope you don't need it!
I hope you stay healthy 
and have no problems at all.
But this info might be helpful.

Buen Camino!
Annie

***

NOTE:  I am not suggesting you take any drugs at all.
I'm simply telling you what works for me
You must do your own research
and be sure the meds you pick up in Spain
do not conflict with any you may be taking.


If you would like to walk with a small group,
consider Anniewalkers.
Our next available trip will be Holy Year 2022.
More information at 






1 comment:

  1. I have asthma and never leave home without Albuterol, my "rescue" inhaler. Well, on my last walk this past May, I did just that...left it at home. I went to a Farmcia and she gave me one. In the US one costs $80. In Spain it is less than €20. I don't know the exact cost cause I also bought some Voltaren cream and the total was 20€

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.