Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Getting LOST from LEON


Today, a peregrina posted 
that she got lost leaving Leon. 
Here is what she said:

On Monday morning, I left Leon at 0600. My mates were still sleeping but as I figured the street lighting would see me through til daylight, I was on my way. I was not aware at all that there are 2 forks in the path that need attention. I was focused on the yellow arrows all the way. By 1030, I was not seeing any anticipated coffee stops, I seemed to be going further into a mountain, away from civilization, more remote, not seeing any perigrinos, and noticing villages from afar (getting further away). I reluctantly decided to turn back, I had food, running out of water but was trying not to panic. I must have walked at least 10-15 km straight up. I began meeting people who explained I needed to go back to Leon as I somehow got on the San Sebastián Camino route. I got to the outskirts of Leon, composed myself, got a bus to the city, then a rural bus to San Martin del Camino where my bag was going. I was welcomed by a new group that helped me cry, tell my story, enjoy a community meal and move forward the next day. The purpose of this post is to warn people who don’t know (as I didn’t) that there are other Camino routes out of Leon - not just Camino Frances. Am presently in Rabanal del Camino and looking forward to Gregorian Chant tonight!

I actually was not aware of this split, 
so here is the information you need:


As you leave Leon, there is a split, 
right at the parador San Marcos. 
There is a pilgrim statue in front displaying options. 

To walk the Camino Francés, face the Parador, and turn left and walk on the bridge over the river.

To walk the Camino Salvador (beautiful but not as supported) you do not cross the river, but continue on the side of the parador and along the river.

More about leaving Leon...

I often don't walk 
through the industrial section of the city 
as I leave. 


I walk straight up the Av. Ordoño, 
which becomes Av. Palencia 
as though I was going 
to the train or bus station. 

Right after I cross the river, 
across from the Renfe station 
is a city bus stop on the right. 
I wait there for the city bus 
going to Virgen del Camino. 



I get off in Virgen del Camino, 
find breakfast and coffee,
and begin walking.

Pay attention 
when you get to the San Froilan Church. 
You can't miss it. 
It will be on the right and is very unusual.


There at the corner, 
you will CROSS THE STREET to the LEFT, 
and follow the yellow arrows 
to the RIGHT, up an alleyway, 
taking the alternative route 
to Villar de Mazarife. 

To me, 
this is a much more pleasant road, 
avoiding all that highway walking. 


Villar de Mazarife has several lovely albergues, including Albergue Jesus. 

Here is a link to a blog post 
with photos about that section:



3 comments:

  1. Good to know....but I hope I’m with someone who knows the way...Annie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm glad you commented because this blog post looks a mess! Anyway, no worries.. we will take a bus from Leon to Astorga on our trip!

      Delete
  2. "San Froilan Church. You can't miss it. It will be on the right and is very unusual" - yes, the sculptures of the 12 disciples on the front of the church is really interesting and a quick peek inside is worth a few minutes of your time. There is a nice little bar/cafe across the street, roughly where Annie took the picture from. One warning, you will not see this view of the church while walking unless you go past the church on your right, stop, turnaround 180 degrees and then you will see this view...the front of the church as pictured above. While walking, we saw the cafe in front of us to the right, went in for a snack and when we came out noticed the unusual building in front of us and then investigated it. Otherwise it is easy to walk right past this without ever knowing it is there.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.