Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

What are Kilometers?


If you are "math-minded" 
this photo may help you.

Unfortunately, I am NOT "math-minded" 
and I can't remember this to save my life!

So if you are like me,
my suggestion is this,
begin THINKING in kilometers.
now, before you get to Europe.

How?

During training, download an app
that allows you to use kilometers.
Your Fitbit allows you to make that distinction.
I use my Fitbit but the electromagnetic waves
make my arm hurt (yeah, I'm weird)
so usually, I use the app called
MAP MY WALK
which is free,
on my iPhone.


I go to settings,
and set the counter to kilometers 
instead of miles.
A little voice comes on and tells me
each time I walk another kilometer 
and how long it's taken me.

This is helpful when trying to judge
how long it will take you to walk a stage,
like one of 24 kilometers, for instance.
I know it takes me 12 minutes 
to walk one kilometer,
so if I multiply 24 by 12,
that will give me 288 minutes.
Divide that by 60 (minutes in an hour)
and I now know it will take me at least
4.8 hours to walk the 24 kilometers.
That is not counting rest and food stops.

If I need to be in a village by 2pm
and it's 24 kilometers away,
I know I better get out of bed
and on the trail by 6 or 7 am.
No need to leave earlier than that!

 Fitbit has the same type of program,
and you can change it to count kilometers
instead of miles.

So don't let "kilometers' scare you.
It's easy peasy if you start thinking in kilometers now
during your training.
You'll be surprised how much it will help.


And please,
don't train too hard.
The Camino is a TREK,
not a mountain climbing expedition.
You should be able to CASUALLY walk
the distances
with plenty of rest stops between.
There are bars and places to sit and enjoy the countryside
all along The Way.
Don't rush.
Go slow.

Start of the first couple of days doing HALF-stages,
and slowly increase your distance.
Do not attempt to walk 
from SJPP to Roncesvalles the first day
unless you are in EXCELLENT condition.
Many people's Camino ends 
after that long hard stage.

Don't be silly.

Take your time
and have a BUEN CAMINO!

Love,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.