Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Saturday, March 07, 2020

Villafranca de los Barros - Day 2

Today was our first real day of walking on the VDLP since we arrived in Zafra. When we left this morning the temperature was 36° but luckily there was no wind.  The track went over rolling hills and it was fairly flat, but boy, am I out of shape.

This street sign cracked me up. 










When I was a little girl, my grandfather was my primary caretaker and he was a farmer. I would ride next to him in the pick up truck, and as we would go down the hot summer roads there would be a mirage that look like water in the distance. He would tease me and say “Keep your eye on that water - we’re going to drive right through it!’

But then as we got closer to the water, it would disappear.

That’s just how I felt today coming into Villafranca. We would see it when we were at the top of One hill and it looked like it was only a kilometer away. Then we’d go down into a gully and back up to the top of another hill, and it didn’t look like we had gotten any closer.


 It took us about 5 hours to walk it.  The last two hours seemed like a week. My feet were screaming. But this is usually how I feel the first day.

We stopped at the church in Maimones. The priest was in his office. He stamped our credentials and let us in to see the church. It was very pretty.










6 comments:

  1. I remember those mirages as a child too. Thank you for sharing your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. I'm sorry I didn't respond. I just literally saw these comments. Our trip was cut very short, sadly, due to Covid.

      Delete
  2. Tired but happy! Yay! Thanks for keeping us updated! Buen Camino! 🙏😊💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. Sorry I didn't respond. I just (literally) saw these comments. Not sure why my blog is not notifying me.

      Delete

All comments are moderated.