Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Sunday, March 01, 2020

Getting Ready to Go

Joe and I hiked up to the end of the wash at the Kim Nichols Trail yesterday for a total 8.5 kilometers. By the time we were returning, I was pretty much blinded by what developed into another damned case of pink eye. I have NO idea where this is coming from. It's the second time since right before Thanksgiving I've had this and up until now, I have NEVER had it. I suspect the pools here at Caliente. Seems like every time I go into those hot tubs I get a rash, a cold, or some weird thing like this pink eye. That's it for me. No more swimming or hot tubbing here. Too many old people with questionable hygiene habits for me. The things I've seen!

Anyway, I was depressed about it this morning, to the point I was almost ready to call of our Camino. But after coffee, a shower, breakfast, and some time, I'm in better spirits and have spent the day getting ready.

First of all, I hung and sprayed my new 28 Liter backpack with permethrin.

Then, I sewed my money belts into my 2 Macabi skirts.




The I repaired one of Joe's stuff sacks.

I discovered, after all these years, that if I take ALL of my clothes and my sleeping bag out of the stuff sacks, everything fits into the pack much better with room left over - so that made me happy.

Here is my updated packing list:

Wearing on the Plane:

  • 1 Macabi Skirt
  • 1 underwear
  • 1 pair merino wool leggings
  • sports bra
  • short sleeved shirt
  • Cashmere/Merino Sweater
  • socks
  • shoes
In my Macabi pocket:
  • lip balm
  • On Guard Hand Spray
  • 6 hand sanitizer wipes
  • 1 package clorox disinfecting wipes
  • my Vogmask
  • earphones
  • 1 tiny tub with a couple each of ibuprofen, gaviscon, and Advil PM
  • 1 flumucil complex
  • 1 flumucil 200
  • iPhone
  • Change purse

In my money pouch
  • Passport
  • credit card
  • Photo ID
In Backpack:
  • 1 Macabi Skirt
  • 1 short sleeved hiking shirt
  • 1 long sleeved merino wool shirt
  • 1 silk undershirt
  • 2 pair underwear
  • 1 extra sports bra
  • 2 pair merino wool socks
  • 1 pair featherweight flip flops for showers
  • ALTUS poncho
  • featherweight rain pants (work great for wind too)
  • fleece hat
  • merino wool buff
  • wool gloves
  • fleece headband
  • bath/shampoo bar (1/2)
  • travel towel
  • travel toothbrush
  • Q-tips (about 2 dozen - I'll cut in half)
  • deodorant (cut off about 1/2 stick)
  • Tiny pot of booda butter (for hands & legs)
  • elastic clothesline
  • large safety pins for hanging clothes
  • cold water wash bar (1/2)
  • small binoculars
  • pack cover
  • Platypus 2 liter water bladder
  • 2 travel packets of biofreeze
  • 3 packets mustard (for cramps)
  • 6 gaviscon
  • 6 800 mg ibuprofen
  • hand sanitizer wipes
  • Puff Jacket
  • Down sleeping blanket
  • Credential











Tomorrow I'll get my hair cut super short and then I think we're ready to go!

4 comments:

  1. I like your pack list. I will try to pack lighter when I go in 2021 so I can carry my pack. Not sure why I say that. I'll be close to 79 years old by that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us. Safe travels my friend!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.