Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, February 25, 2019

A Chinook in My Future? (October 2017)


My son and son-in-law
took me to Disney World last month.
It was a blast!

Here are some photos of the trip.







Disney World was on my bucket list,
so it was wonderful to be able to check it off.
Thank you, Cameron and Michael!

Getting ready for my next bucket list adventure 
has been hard work, 
but a lot of fun too!  

Flying to Europe First Class 
is one item on my bucket list left to do. 
But the NEXT item is easier and will last longer.  

It's my intention to take at least one year off, 
buy an RV, 
and go see America!

As I go through my belongings, once again, 
I have discovered that 
I'm not the minimalist I think I am!  
Somehow I have accumulated a ton of "stuff ...
again!

So... 
I look at each thing and ask:

1) Do I love it?
2) Do I need it?
3) Have I used it in the past year?

If not, I make some tough decisions.

Walking the Camino Santiago
has given me a deep understanding
of the difference between
what I WANT 
and what I really NEED to be happy.
Walking 6 weeks with nothing
except what fits in a 15 pound pack
was enlightening.
Especially when the lightbulb went on
inside my head and I thought,
"Gosh, I don't miss ANY of that stuff back home!"

So far, I've given away a few boxes of items. 
Things I'm not sure of, 
I'll look at once I return from Spain again in June.

The most difficult things to part with 
are the old photographs inherited 
from my many grandparents. 
While those are precious to ME, 
and while my sons remember 
my grandparents and 2 of my great-grandparents, 
the rest of those people are strangers to them, 
and they're not really interested in genealogy.  

I keep hoping one of my 3 grandchildren 
will want the 3 or 4 boxes of genealogy 
and old photos. 
I'll wait a few more years to see. 
But after that, what are they good for?

I also have heirlooms from those grandparents, 
great grandparents, 
and great great grandparents. 
Things that I looked at, 
touched, 
and loved while growing up but that are, again, meaningless to my children.

How sad, 
in a way, 
that all we love turns to dust in the end.

I have one small box, 
about 10" x 10" x 4" marked "Things I Love."  Crystals, gemstones, knicknacks, 
a couple of vases from my great grandmothers. 
Along with the photos, 
those are what I'd grab if I had time in an emergency.

The third group of boxes are my art supplies.
How, oh how can I get rid of those???

Otherwise, the 24 boxes (more or less) 
that are left don't hold much sentimental value.
They are just "things." 
So when I return from Spain in June, 
I'll be having an estate sale. 
I need just enough to fit 
into the new-to-me Chinook 
(or similar small RV)
that I'm going to manifest.  

Isn't she a beauty?!
I can just see myself in the driver's seat.
What adventures I'll have!
I'll be soooo happy seeing America 
in this little RV!

(Or do I want a RoadTrek? Or a motorhome? Or ???)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.