Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, February 25, 2019

Quitobaquito ! February 25 2018

I took a van tour today that the rangers offered to what used to be a tiny settlement called Quitobaquito.  We drove about 40 minutes out along the Mexican border on washboard dirt road and finally arrived at a nondescript trailhead.

A short hike and we came across Quitobaquito, a little man-made pond fed by a single nearby spring.

Rather than rewrite a blog someone has already written, go here to read about the Quitobaquito Springs:

https://www.nps.gov/orpi/learn/historyculture/quitobaquito-springs.htm

I'm enjoying my stay here at Organ Pipe. I'm paying $8 per night and will only stay two nights. There is another primitive campground here for $5 per night that I'd like to check out, but my coleman stove broke this morning and I need to go into town to get it repaired. So I probably will just continue to head North once I get the part.

Here are some photos. My data plan is nearly empty for the month, so no more blogging for a few days.

Nice camp spot near the toilets 
Beautiful scenery

Organ Pipe Cactus

Pretty sunsets though not as spectacular as in Quartzsite

A van picks you up at the campground for the tour

Quitobaquito Pond

The spring where it all begins is full of endangered pupfish

Jose Lorenzo Sestier's grave, the only sign of civilization



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.