Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, February 25, 2019

Test Night #2 - What I Learned

What I learned Night #2 sleeping in my van.

1. I revved up my Buddy Heater. That thing gets REALLY hot fast. I probably don't need to run it more than 5 minutes. For safety, I need to leave a window open. 1/2 inch is enough.

2. Got my curtains temporarily rehung. I need to secure both bottom and top of the curtains because the cold air comes DOWN onto my bed. 

3. Kleenex makes a LOT more sense than toilet paper for toileting in the van. Only takes 1 hand instead of two. Tried this out last night and I'm switching to a box of Kleenex.

4. I'm going to try making my coffee the night before and putting it in the thermos so it's ready in the morning. I wake up before light so in order to make the coffee, I need light. I'd rather not have to deal with that at 5 am.


5. It got VERY cold last night; down in the 30's. I used my down sleeping bag until around 3 am, then got cold, so pulled my down comforter over onto me. I learned that the full sized down comforter is awkward and heavy to handle. I'm going to measure about 5 inches over each side of my cot/bed and cut the comforter down to size. It is not only too wide, it's too long. It drove me batty folding up over my face.

6. I had purchased several pillow covers at Goodwill. I use them for storage of my pajamas, sleeping bag, and extra clothes. I am switching my sleeping bag to the more sturdy cover since I'll be taking it in and out every day.

7. My merino wool skullcap was not comfortable for sleeping. I have a "snood" like cap somewhere - it's looser and has space in the top for warm air to gather.

Not comfortable. Too tight and close to my head.


Softer, looser, warmer. Much more comfortable.


8. I do not like sleeping with gloves.

9. My arm kept going to sleep, but that's a common problem even in my big bed. I think the extra couple of inches the new mattress gives will make a difference. I may move the bed a couple of inches away from the side of the van. I'd still have plenty of room by the entrance and wouldn't be sleeping up against the cold side.

That's it. 
A pretty good night's sleep and again, 
I learned a lot!
Have a great day, VanDwellers!

Love,

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.