Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, February 25, 2019

My New Van Kitchen!

After being on the road full time for 3 months, 
I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't.

The weather took a cold turn last week, so I figured it was a great time to head back to Joe's place in Desert Hot Springs and hire him to update my van kitchen. I'm finding the milk-crates and bins to be a little annoying. Staying organized in such a tiny space is really important, if you don't want to lose your mind!

I had been gifted a tailgate rack, which I used for about 2 weeks 
before deciding it wasn't for me.


I decided I wanted a built in kitchen, 
sort of like the ones they have in those teardrop trailers, 
but not as fancy. I drew up some plans and hired Joe.

We used a birch colored 1/2" plywood for the racks 
and a 1/4" plywood for the backing. 

The first thing we did 
was put the heaviest item in the bottom - my propane tank.  
I had a lot of people on Facebook worry 
about the safety of having the propane tank in the back.

"What if you get rear ended?"

So I did some research 
and could not find even ONE instance of someone being rear ended 
and having a propane tank blow up. 
Most propane explosions were in trucks 
carrying large quantities of propane or out of pure stupidity, 
like the couple who were transporting a propane barbecue 
with the canister ON and then lighting a cigarette.  
BOOM!  
Darwin struck again!

I don't have the propane in the van while sleeping. 
When I'm camped, it's under my camping table. 
When I'm traveling, the tank is turned off. 
I just don't feel it's a worry, 
and I'm happy with its home.



Next I put items I wanted on the middle shelf 
up to try to figure out how many bins 
I would need in the middle section. 
My breakfast and coffee items are used every morning, 
so I wanted them to be easy to get to.

I decided to hold 8 gallons of water on the two left lower shelves 
and to put my food in two shelves on the bottom middle.


Once the shelves were finished, 
we took them into the back yard to be sealed.


Then Joe put on the back board.


The rack fit perfectly into the back of my 2002 Toyota Sienna.




I decided to carry the folding table here, 
so it will hold in the food 
and keep it from sliding around while I drive.  
The stove is tucked into the left hand space, 
and can be easily removed if I need to get to the car jack.


Here is my finished rack.
Tools are in the yellow box to the far right, 
along with paper towels and plates.
Bowls are stacked in the cubby to the far left. 


The food shelves were just perfect.
I had Joe put a very narrow shelf on the top
to hold my boxed tofu, coconut milk, and canned goods.
What you see on the far left is a round cooler
that I decided not to take. 
The empty shelf will hold 4 more gallons of water.



Inside my van, I nailed a shoe organizer to hold 
items like deodorant and toothbrushing, 
aspirin, etc.
I put my porta potty next to the bed.
I'll cover it and it will also be my nightstand.
My solar suitcase will slide right into the space between 
the side of the van and the toilet.


I had the passenger seat turned around at the RTR.
This gives me a place to sit and work.




I had Joe make a little box to fit over the battery.
This way nothing can fall and short out the battery.


So here are my before and after photos.
I'm REALLY happy with this build.

BEFORE

AFTER



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.