Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, February 25, 2019

Foods For Van Dwelling

There are a few products I use that make my van life easier, 
and I'd like to share those with you.

I do not use a cooler regularly.
I use my cooler to hold tools, and do take it along, 
just in case.
But generally, I carry no food that needs refrigeration.

The only thing I use that COULD use a refrigerator
is yogurt,
and that seems to do just fine for 4 to 5 days 
without refrigeration.
After all, yogurt is fermented milk, 
and all it does is get stronger.
So far I've had no problems carrying it and using it,
although one container over a week old 
did manifest some mold
and had to be tossed.

I use the yogurt in my cereal
instead of milk.
I add a few big spoons of yogurt,
then add water and stir.
It's just like using kefir or milk
and works great!

I always carry boxed tofu.


I like Silken Tofu and I like the Firm texture.
I use this for curries, as well as for "scrambled eggs"
and "egg salad."
This particular tofu can be purchased in stores,
and also on Amazon by the case.

I love Curry and other East Indian foods,
and I particularly love these Curry pastes.


These come in a variety of types. 
Some are hot, some are medium, some are mild.
I prefer the mild, so this is the one I keep on stock.
It's perfect for whipping up a quick dinner,
using the vegetables you have at  hand.
I generally use it with potatoes, yams, and canned chicken.
I've also added celery, carrots, an zucchini.
It's awesome when you are pot-lucking too,
and has been a great hit!

I like coconut milk in my curry
and so I keep these on hand.
These are small single serving coconut milk boxes.
Since I have no way to refrigerate leftover milk,
these work great.
I pour one entire box into my curry.
It's about 1 cup.


I also love these Tasty Bite packages.
Single servings for less than $3 each,
they make a great quick meal when you really 
don't feel like cooking,
and they need no refrigeration.
They come in a great variety of flavors.




All of these items can be ordered on Amazon.com
and if you have PRIME,
shipping is free.

Ready to eat rice
makes dinner easy
those times you can't cook.
There is this Basmati Rice,
and Uncle Ben's makes another version
that is less costly.

As long as the weather is cool,
I can put leftovers in a tight-lidded container
and it holds over for a second night.

Another item I buy is bagged salad.
I particularly love the Asian salad.

I also like the kale salad,
and I have actually STIR FRIED this
and used it as a "wilted salad"
when the weather is cold.


I've held these salads up to 5 days 
in a cool space in my van
with no refrigeration and no problem.

Instead of bread, I carry crackers.
I like cracker bread like Lahvosh or WASA.
Or just organic crackers.



I hope some of these lightweight, easy foods
will give you ideas
of what might work for you.
Many can be ordered on Amazon 
and it's worth looking through
their Prime Pantry to see what's available.

Good luck and Bon Provecho!
Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.